What's it like to be a Dog Trainer?
A Dog Trainer is an individual who uses their knowledge of animal behaviour to teach dogs to obey their owner’s commands and/or exhibit appropriate behaviour. Dog Trainers are usually patient people who have a genuine affection for, and interest in, animals. They also need to have a solid understanding of different dog breeds and their characteristics and how these may impact their behaviour.
Tasks and duties
- Conducting training sessions to teach dogs to socialise and to obey specific commands from their owner such as sitting, staying or coming when called.
- Teaching owners how to handle their animal’s behaviour and to obey verbal and non-verbal commands.
- Advising owners on how to establish good habits and discourage problematic behaviour.
Many Dog Trainers conduct group sessions for six to eight weeks at a time with the same group of animals and owners.
Latest Dog Trainer jobs on SEEK
How to become a Dog Trainer
- Explore opportunities to gain knowledge through on-the-job training by working as an assistant to a professional trainer or by joining a local dog obedience club.
- Consider relevant animal training and care qualifications, such as a Certificate III in Dog Behaviour and Training (22542VIC) or a Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services (ACM40317). These courses usually include classroom and practical experience.
- If you intend to establish your own dog training business and conduct sessions in a park, you’ll need to ensure you have relevant permits from your local council.
- There are many career pathways for Dog Trainers, such as working as a detection/defence dog trainer for police, customs or defence force work, or training animals for the film and television industry.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Dog Trainer have studied these qualifications.
This certificate provides the skills to apply for managerial or supervisory roles in companion animal organisations.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.