What's it like to be a Maintenance Manager?
Maintenance Managers plan and coordinate maintenance and upkeep, often in a production or manufacturing environment. They plan and implement a maintenance schedule covering an organisation’s machinery, mechanical systems, buildings or other structures, with the goal of minimising down–time.
Tasks and duties
- Developing maintenance planning strategies and schedules.
- Coordinating and overseeing the maintenance of equipment, mechanical systems buildings or other structures.
- Installing new equipment as required.
- Applying quality systems and procedures to work processes.
- Leading continuous improvement activities.
- Ensuring Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) policies are followed.
- Interpreting technical drawings and plans.
- Maintaining and overhauling mechanical systems and equipment.
- Developing and implementing shutdown procedures.
- Using power tools and precision instruments.
- Developing and maintaining equipment maintenance logs.
Maintenance Managers usually have a background in an engineering trade and are responsible for a team of staff. They are employed by organisations in the mining, manufacturing, professional, scientific and technical services industries.
What can I earn as a Maintenance Manager?
Latest Maintenance Manager jobs on SEEK
How to become a Maintenance Manager
- Search for employers offering apprenticeships.
- Complete a relevant qualification such as the Certificate IV in Engineering (MEM40105). The qualification is typically achieved through an apprenticeship, consisting of paid work and training. An apprenticeship is a binding commitment between the employer and trainee for its duration, which is typically four years.
- Build your industry experience in an engineering trade role such as Maintenance Fitter.
- You may want to attain additional licences such as a forklift licence, working in confined spaces or elevated work platform (EWP) licence. These licences are usually attained through the completion of short courses and should be gained from an RTO.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Maintenance Manager have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.