What's it like to be a Management Consultant?
Management Consultants are trained to provide strategic advice to improve the financial and operational health of their clients' organisations. They may also help organisations to develop specialist skills that they may be lacking.
Tasks and duties
- Gaining an in depth understanding of the client's business. This may involve interviewing employees and collecting, analysing and interpreting data.
- Researching industry trends through financial modelling and specialised literature.
- Developing business proposals and presenting these to key executives.
- Making strategic recommendations and persuading key executives that your recommendations are sound.
Management Consultants must have the capacity to communicate effectively with company stakeholders, in particular senior executives.
As a Management Consultant, you must also ensure the strategies you propose can be implemented in a practical and cost-effective way.
What can I earn as a Management Consultant?
Latest Management Consultant jobs on SEEK
How to become a Management Consultant
- Complete a Bachelor degree in commerce, business, business administration or a related field.
- Gain work experience. Work experience is a plus in almost every profession but is crucial in the field of management consulting where clients are employing you for your expertise.
- Consider gaining certification. The Institute of Management Consultants (IMC) is the professional body representing management consultants in Australia and is the awarding body of the Certified Management Consultant (CMC) designation, the mark of competency for the management consulting profession.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Management Consultant have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.