What's it like to be a Mathematics Teacher?
Mathematics Teachers are qualified secondary school teachers who have specialised in teaching mathematics to students (typically aged 12 – 18 years) in the high school system.
Tasks and duties
- Teach students in secondary school classes mathematics content and subject matter that meets state curriculum requirements by using a variety of materials.
- Plan, prepare and deliver effective mathematical learning and teaching programs.
- Assess, record and report on students’ development, learning and progress with regard to their mathematical skills and knowledge.
Mathematics Teachers need to be familiar with national curriculum and assessment methodology in addition to being confident in using a range of teaching strategies so that they can cater for a variety of learners and their needs. They also need to have excellent communication skills to effectively facilitate the understanding of mathematical concepts.
Mathematics Teachers are usually required to attend staff meetings, parent-teacher interviews and supervise extra curricular activities as required out of school hours.
What can I earn as a Mathematics Teacher?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become a Mathematics Teacher
- Complete a bachelor degree in the field of education. This is typically a Bachelor of Education (Secondary) or a combined degree in mathematics and education. Alternatively, for students with previous tertiary qualifications who have a major and minor in at least two curriculum areas recognised by Australian schools, complete a two-year Master of Teaching (Secondary).
- Before being able to work as a mathematics teacher, you need to lodge an application for teacher registration in your state.
- There are many opportunities for career progression for secondary school mathematics teachers, such as becoming a leading teacher or mathematics coordinator.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Mathematics Teacher have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.
This qualification provides skills and knowledge to prepare for a career as a Secondary School Teacher.