What's it like to be a Personal Trainer?
Personal Trainers develop exercise programs based on a client’s goals and health needs.
Tasks and duties
- Working with clients to determine training goals, such as weight loss, strength, flexibility or cardiovascular health.
- Assessing clients’ current level of fitness, weight, body composition, strength and endurance.
- Developing and implementing a health, fitness and workout plan and providing basic nutrition advice.
Personal Trainers commonly work in gyms and fitness centres, but many are self-employed professionals, work at hotels, on cruise ships or at lifestyle retreats.
Some Personal Trainers run small group sessions or boot camps, and may work in various locations and on evenings or weekends
What can I earn as a Personal Trainer?
Latest Personal Trainer jobs on SEEK
How to become a Personal Trainer
- Complete a Certificate IV in Fitness (SIS40215). You may be able to complete the course through a combination of in class and online study.
- Register for a professional membership with Fitness Australia, Physical Activity Australia or FITREC.
- Ensure that you have appropriate professional indemnity, public liability, and product liability insurance.
- Explore opportunities to further your career; you may want to undertake additional studies or focus on training sports teams, weight-loss clients or young people.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Personal Trainer have studied these qualifications.
This qualification prepares you to work as a Personal Trainer. Complete the Certificate IV in Fitness as well as core units required for entry.