What's it like to be a Retail Sales Assistant?
Retail Sales Assistants work in shops and stores and provide a high quality customer experience by greeting customers, establishing their needs and helping them to find products to meet those needs.
Tasks and duties
- Prepare the shop for the day and complete sales transactions
- Replenish and restock items as required, in addition to providing advice and recommending products to customers
- Implement specific sales strategies and promotions to ensure maximum profit is generated.
Retail Sales Assistants are responsible for providing customers with a positive, informative and engaging shopping experience. They may also assist with the coordination and training of other staff.
Individuals who are highly organised with strong attention to detail and who have excellent communication skills make ideal Retail Sales Assistants.
What can I earn as a Retail Sales Assistant?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become a Retail Sales Assistant
- Gain work experience in the field, and undertake a qualification in retail services, such as a Certificate II in Retail Services (SIR20216) or a Certificate III in Retail Services (SIR20216).
- If you are looking to further your career within retail, you can work your way up and apply for promotions to more senior roles, such as Retail Store Manager or Brand Manager.