What's it like to be a Security System Technician?
Security System Technicians install, maintain and repair security systems in residential homes and commercial settings. They install a range of state-of-the-art security equipment including CCTV cameras, alarm systems, motion sensors and secure phone lines.
Tasks and duties
- Performing site inspections and discussing requirements with clients.
- Determining equipment and configuration to be used in installation.
- Providing quotes and estimates to clients.
- Routing cables through buildings including through roof spaces, under floors and through cavity walls.
- Connecting alarm systems to phone lines and internet connections.
- Mounting, calibrating and programming equipment.
- Testing equipment and diagnosing and repairing faults.
- Completing installation documentation and following established procedures.
- Connecting equipment to mains power.
Security System Technicians must have knowledge of basic electronics principles, including the diagnosis and repair of electrical faults. They interact with members of the public daily and may work in confined spaces such as in the roof of a building. They are employed by security system installation companies or may run their own business.
What can I earn as a Security System Technician?
Latest Security System Technician jobs on SEEK
How to become a Security System Technician
- Complete a relevant qualification such as the Certificate III in Technical Security (CPP30507).
- Attain your OHS white card.
- Attain your Cabling registration from an ACMA approved provider.
- Attain your Security Installer’s Licence from a state–approved provider.
- Undergo Police Checks where necessary.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Security System Technician have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.
This VET diploma gives you the general ICT knowledge required in order to provide ICT support in small-to-medium enterprises.
This certificate provides the skills and knowledge to operate a small business.