What's it like to be a SQL Developer?
SQL Developers specialise in the design, testing and implementation of software using the SQL (Structured Query Language) programming language. SQL is designed to update or retrieve data from a database, and is widely used in business and database administration, particularly enterprise-scale businesses that store and manage massive amounts of data.
Tasks and duties
- Determining project requirements by collaborating with clients and team members.
- Designing solutions and features that meet the specific project requirements or objectives.
- Write and modify programming code.
- Testing code for bugs and implementing fixes.
- Solving problems using logic and methodical testing processes.
- Developing testing and validation processes.
- Deploying code to the live environment.
SQL Developers commonly work to a process known as the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), which contains six stages: analysis, design, development and testing, implementation, documentation, and evaluation.
SQL Developers may be employed at companies where new software is created, at digital agencies or within the IT department of a business. Like other Software Developers, they may also work freelance on a contractual basis.
What can I earn as a SQL Developer?
Latest SQL Developer jobs on SEEK
How to become a SQL Developer
- Complete a qualification such a Diploma of Software Development (ICT50715) or a Bachelor degree majoring in Software Development.
- Consider completing an internship program while studying. This will provide you with hands on experience as well as mentorship from experienced Software Developers.
- Complete an online or in-person course or “coding camp” specialising in SQL.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a SQL Developer have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.
This qualification develops your computer science knowledge to prepare for a career in computer engineering or software development.