What's it like to be a Truck Driver?
Truck Drivers carry cargo from one place to another. They work with dispatching companies to get assignments. Sometimes Truck Drivers work independently, but they often work for trucking companies.
Tasks and duties
- Taking receipt and delivering loads of cargo or product.
- Operating the truck, obeying all road safety regulations.
- Completing documentation relating to trips, such as logs, delivery dockets and timesheets.
- Logging any safety incidents.
- Checking the cargo throughout the trip.
- Communicating with the dispatcher regarding trip and cargo status.
Truck Drivers plan their routes, keep logs of their trips and inspect the cargo they’re carrying throughout the trip.
Truck Drivers may choose to become licensed to operate a particular class of vehicle and specialise as a Heavy Rigid Truck Driver, Medium Rigid Truck Driver, Multi Combination Truck Driver, or Heavy Combination Truck Driver.
What can I earn as a Truck Driver?
Latest Truck Driver jobs on SEEK
How to become a Truck Driver
- Obtain a driver's licence from the licencing authority in your state.
- Establish a good driving record,and decide what class of vehicle you would like to operate.
- You can complete a Certificate III in Driving Operations (TLI31216) through TAFE or a local private institution. This course will teach you fatigue management, which is often looked on favourably in this occupation, as there can be long hours of continuous driving.
- There are truck driving training courses available at private training colleges throughout Australia. These courses range from beginners right through to more experienced.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Truck Driver have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.