What's it like to be an English Teacher?
English Teachers are qualified Secondary School Teachers who have specialised in teaching English to students (typically aged 12 – 18 years) in the secondary school system.
Tasks and duties
- Teach students in secondary school classes English content and subject matter that meets state curriculum requirements by using a variety of materials and catering for students with varying learning styles.
- Plan, prepare and deliver effective English learning and teaching programs according to best practice pedagogy.
- Use a variety of assessment tasks to evaluate, record and report on students’ development, learning and progress with regard to their English skills, knowledge and achievement.
English Teachers enhance students’ learning by creating and analysing texts, literature, poetry, prose and literary theory. They need to have excellent communication skills and be confident in differentiating the English curriculum in the classroom.
English Teachers are usually required to attend staff meetings, parent-teacher interviews and supervise extra curricular activities as required out of school hours.
What can I earn as an English Teacher?
Compare salaries by similar roles
How to become an English Teacher
- Complete a bachelor degree in the field of education. This is typically a Bachelor of Education (Secondary). Ensure that the course has Initial Teacher Education (ITE) approval. Alternatively, for students with previous tertiary qualifications who have a major and minor in at least two curriculum areas recognised by Australian schools, complete a two-year Master of Teaching (Secondary).
- Before being able to work as an English teacher, you need to lodge an application for teacher registration in your state.
- There are many opportunities for career progression for secondary school English teachers, such as becoming a leading teacher, English coordinator/head of English.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as an English Teacher have studied these qualifications.
This qualification provides skills and knowledge to prepare for a career as a Secondary School Teacher.
If you have already completed any undergraduate degree, this qualification will prepare you for a career as a Secondary School Teacher.