What's it like to be an Interior Decorator?
Interior Decorators plan and implement decoration schemes for residential homes and commercial properties like offices, shops, restaurants and hotels. They assist in the design and planning of the space’s colour scheme, lighting and furniture, and overall aesthetic, and supervise and coordinate the activities of tradesman including Painters and Carpet Layers.
Tasks and duties
- Performing inspections of client premises to establish existing design and take measurements.
- Advising clients on the selection of colour schemes, layout, lighting, furniture, floor coverings, curtains, paint, wallpaper, curtains and blinds.
- Providing design sketches, specifications and quotes for client approval.
- Supervising and coordinating the installation and layout of furniture and furnishings and ensuring subcontractor work meets quality, safety and cost expectations within established deadline.
- Selling to the public or tradespeople in a retail setting.
- Meeting with clients and other tradespeople such as architects, electricians and builders to discuss project requirements.
- Selecting suppliers of materials and labour.
Interior Decorators may also work in a consultant role or in a sales role in trade and retail shops. They are often self-employed or may manage a team of staff, and interact with members of the public daily, advising them on a broad range of matters relating to the look and feel of their home or business.
Latest Interior Decorator jobs on SEEK
How to become an Interior Decorator
- Complete a qualification in Interior Decoration. This could be a Certificate IV in Interior Decoration (MSF40113) or a Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration (MSF50213).
- Consider securing an assistant role in order to build your practical experience and body of interior decoration work.
- Develop a portfolio of work to show prospective clients and employers.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as an Interior Decorator have studied these qualifications.
This diploma equips you to design and decorate building interiors for residential or commercial purposes.