What's it like to be a Kitchenhand?
Kitchen Hands perform tasks such as washing dishes and utensils, cleaning, and restocking in commercial kitchens. They may also assist Chefs, Line Cooks and service staff with food preparation and storage.
Tasks and duties
- Cleaning and maintaining cooking utensils, dishes, cutlery and other equipment.
- Assisting with food preparation or assembly and food storage as required.
- Perform general cleaning to maintain a safe and hygienic work environment.
The position of Kitchen Hand is generally an entry-level role and provides an opportunity to learn how a commercial kitchen operates.
What can I earn as a Kitchenhand?
Latest Kitchenhand jobs on SEEK
How to become a Kitchenhand
- Consider completing a Certificate II in Hospitality (SIT20316) or Certificate II in Kitchen Operations (SIT20416) to gain foundational skills and knowledge in safe food and kitchen practices.
- Gain work experience in a Kitchen Hand role.
- Seek out opportunities to gain new skills and learn about other hospitality roles. Kitchen Hands may work their way up into different positions. You may decide to supplement your experience with some formal training, such as a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery (SIT30816).
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Kitchenhand have studied these qualifications.
This qualification builds your food preparation and cookery skills to prepare for roles in kitchens.