What's it like to be a PHP Developer?
A PHP Developer is a Software Developer who specialises in the design, testing and implementation of software using the PHP programming language. PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is a scripting language that allows developers to write dynamically generated content quickly and is commonly used to add additional functionality to web pages.
Tasks and duties
- Liaising with clients and stakeholders to gather and define project requirements.
- Designing solutions and features to meet project requirements.
- Using computer software and hardware to write and modify programming code.
- Testing code for bugs and implementing improvements and fixes.
- Solving problems using logic and methodical testing processes.
- Developing testing and validation processes.
- Deploying code to the live environment.
PHP Developers usually work to a process known as the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), which contains six stages: analysis, design, development and testing, implementation, documentation, and evaluation. They work with computers daily and are often employed in teams at large companies where new software is created, at digital agencies or within the IT department of a business. Like other Software Developers, they may also work freelance on a contractual basis.
What can I earn as a PHP Developer?
Latest PHP Developer jobs on SEEK
How to become a PHP Developer
- Complete a qualification in Computer Science with a focus on software development. This could be a Diploma of Information Technology (ICT50115) or a Bachelor degree majoring in Software Development.
- Seek out opportunities to complete a placement in an internship program while studying. This will provide you with relevant experience as well as guidance and mentorship from experienced Software Developers.
- Complete an online or in-person course specialising in PHP.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a PHP Developer have studied these qualifications.
This VET diploma gives you the general ICT knowledge required in order to provide ICT support in small-to-medium enterprises.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.
This qualification develops your computer science knowledge to prepare for a career in computer engineering or software development.