What's it like to be a Scrum Master?
Scrum Masters lead scrum teams, which are a key feature of the agile project management methodology commonly used in IT and business sectors. Scrum teams are designed to improve productivity, accountability and communication in the workplace. Scrum Masters play an important role in complex projects by managing communications between team members and departments, providing focus and clarity, and removing obstacles to ensure teams stay on track and achieve their objectives.
Tasks and duties
- Determining the goals and timelines for different projects.
- Allocating projects into sprints (short, time-boxed periods) and breaking down larger pieces of work into smaller tasks.
- Ensuring effective communication between team members by organising regular scrum meetings.
- Providing training and coaching.
- Helping to solve problems or conflicts within teams.
- Helping teams to ensure they meet their goals and targets.
- Carrying out maintenance and reporting.
Latest Scrum Master jobs on SEEK
How to become a Scrum Master
- Complete a relevant qualification such as a bachelor degree in business, IT or a related field.
- Gain relevant work experience. You may choose to initially work as a Business Analyst, Data Analyst or any role that coordinates projects.
- Complete certified training in agile delivery, such as the Certified Scrum Master (CSM). Scrum certification courses give you the skills to lead an effective agile team.