What's it like to be a Search Engine Optimisation Specialist?
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) Specialists are digital marketing professionals who specialise in improving the rankings of websites in online searches. They analyse current performance and develop content that helps to bring more organic (unpaid) traffic to a website. SEO Specialists regularly analyse data and have advanced computer skills. They work for digital marketing agencies and online businesses, and may work freelance on a contractual basis.
Tasks and duties
- Analysing website performance and search engine rankings data.
- Conducting research to find keywords for use across websites and other digital marketing channels.
- Optimising web page content for target keywords.
- Ensuring SEO best practices are followed across all digital marketing channels.
- Working with content writers and other creators to develop optimised content.
- Developing SEO strategies that increase website rankings while remaining within a budget.
- Planning and executing link building campaigns.
- Reviewing and adjusting website architecture, content and linking structure.
- Creating regular reports for clients.
Latest Search Engine Optimisation Specialist jobs on SEEK
How to become a Search Engine Optimisation Specialist
- Complete a bachelor degree in IT, marketing, commerce or a related field. This usually takes three years of full-time study.
- Look for internship opportunities while studying to gain workplace experience.
- Develop your skills and experience using Google Analytics, Google Search Console, and other specialised tools used in SEO such as rank trackers and backlink checkers.
- After gaining some experience, you could start your own freelance consultancy business.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Search Engine Optimisation Specialist have studied these qualifications.
This degree gives you a grounding in a range of information technology areas and may allow you to specialise in an area of interest.
This degree offers you a foundation in business studies and the opportunity to specialise in all aspects of marketing.