What's it like to be a Builder?
Builders oversee, coordinate and work on the construction, repair and renovation of homes and other buildings. They may also manage entire projects. Builders must comply with strict safety regulations, including using and wearing protective equipment and ensuring the construction site is safe.
Tasks and duties
- Interpreting or organising plans that meet building code regulations and client specifications.
- Providing quotes for clients and submitting plans to local authorities.
- Organising contractors including carpenters, electricians and plumbers, as well as undertaking some building work personally.
What can I earn as a Builder?
Latest Builder jobs on SEEK
How to become a Builder
- Complete a Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) (CPC40110) to understand the theory behind the practice and prepare you to apply for a Builder's licence. This course will teach you how to produce cost estimates for projects, conduct on-site supervision, prepare construction contracts and apply building code standards.
- To branch out into other areas of construction, complete a Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) (CPC50210) which will help you gain the practical knowledge to manage and supervise a range of building projects. This qualification will prepare you to work as a Site Manager, Builder or Project Manager.
- As licensing and registration requirements vary, you’ll need to confirm the specific education and experience requirements with the relevant licensing body in your state.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Builder have studied these qualifications.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.