What's it like to be a Search Engine Marketing Specialist?
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Specialists are digital marketing professionals who specialise in creating pay-per-click (PPC) advertising campaigns. PPC ad campaigns are supported by Google and other search engines. Search Engine Marketing Specialists analyse data to set budgets, refine campaigns and improve ad performance. They work for marketing agencies and businesses with a focus on digital marketing; they may also work freelance on a contractual basis.
Tasks and duties
- Designing, executing, testing and reviewing digital ad campaigns.
- Tracking and reporting ad campaign return on investment.
- Estimating costs, determining budgets and managing ad spend to achieve return on investment targets.
- Analysing website conversions and competitor performance data.
- Conducting research to discover keywords.
- Optimising ads and web pages for keywords.
- Designing and implementing multivariate tests to determine optimal ad content and bidding strategy.
- Creating regular reports for clients.
Latest Search Engine Marketing Specialist jobs on SEEK
How to become a Search Engine Marketing Specialist
- Complete a bachelor degree majoring in marketing or a related field. This usually takes three years of full-time study.
- Look for internship opportunities while studying to build experience.
- Develop your skills and experience using web analytics tools such as Google Analytics.
- Build a portfolio of work to show prospective employers and clients.
- Consider enhancing your skills with a postgraduate course, such as a Master of Marketing and Digital Communications. This usually takes one to two years.
- After gaining some experience, you could start your own freelance consulting business.
Explore related qualifications
SEEK users who have worked as a Search Engine Marketing Specialist have studied these qualifications.
This degree offers you a foundation in business studies and the opportunity to specialise in all aspects of marketing.
This masters degree will provide you with comprehensive knowledge of both marketing and communication strategies, and focuses on the digital space.
Develop broad skills in science to prepare for opportunities in a range of industries with this qualification.